The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

South Beach Lasagna

Last night I worked my buns off. Literally. In my Body Attack class.

I hadn't been in a couple of weeks because I had been focusing on spin, yoga, and running instead.

And honestly, I planned to go to spin. But as I have mentioned before... the gym is crazy packed these days and unless you get to class a million hours before it starts - you will NOT get a bike.

So, I reluctantly headed over to Attack. It used to be my favorite because it really is so much fun. But since I hadn't been in a while - I knew it was about to kick my tail. And it did. But in a good way. I did much better than I thought I would. Probably because of my focus on running and yoga. I felt strong. And only had to wipe the sweat from my forehead seventy times. Instead of 100.

And then I was absolutely FAMISHED! Like "I just finished a half marathon food better get in my belly" famished.

And lucky for me, I had made dinner the night before. While I was waiting on the honey vegetables to roast. So, all I had to do was warm it up and we were ready to go.

I love it when that happens.

I couldn't get home fast enough. I needed a filling carbalicious meal. And that is why I had made lasagna.

South Beach Whole Wheat Vegetable Lasagna. To be exact.

From the infamous South Beach Diet.

And yes. It was very successful for me. About six years ago. And then I lost my focus and my balance in life. And forgot all about this book.


You can tell it was WELL loved. I literally used the book EVERY day during that diet. It has some pretty good recipes. Even though I would change some things up nowadays... as a lot of it is very meat heavy.

But the lasagna was one of my favorites. Because I could make a batch of it and eat on it for a couple of days.

And who doesn't love lasagna!

You can find the recipe online here.

I did make several changes to the recipe. Just because I wanted to make it substantial with more nutrients.

I got an organic chopped tomato sauce....

And then added eggplant, squash, and tomatoes to the zucchini called for in the recipe.

And used FRESH spinach instead of frozen.


And here is where I feel that I made a mistake. It was almost TOO much. As you can see it barely fit in the dish. And I probably should have sauteed or steamed the vegetables before I put them in... as they still were a little crunchy even after baking for one hour.
But none of that stopped me from gobbling it up. I seriously felt like my family at an all-you-care-to-eat buffet. Except for I just had one BIG slice of lasagna and a HUGE side salad. ( And maybe the salad had some extra chunks of mozzarella on top). But I ate it fast. So fast that the clock turned backwards.
And I really could have kept going... but my belly quickly reminded me of how miserable I feel after I stuff myself.
Plus, that just leaves more for today's dinner. And tomorrow's. And the next day's.

( I'm still working hard on perfecting my food pictures. It is not as easy at it seems.)
I'm already looking forward to my dinner break tonight at work. There is something about whole wheat noodles, fresh parmesan, and mozzarella that just blows my skirt up. Oh. And vegetables. I can't forget about the vegetables. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment