The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Crock Pot Chili

Don't you just love crock pots?



I think they are just the best thing. Not that I use mine that often. But when I do I always remind myself to find more recipes to make in it. And then I forget all about it. Until the next time I pull it out.



For the longest time, I would only use it to make a roast. Mmmmmm. Roast. That sounds really good right now.

A yummy roast. With mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese. And rolls with lots of butter.

Holy carbs! Some one is having a major craving all of a sudden.

But it is not me. I'm sure of it.

Anyway, I came across a scrumptious looking vegetarian chili recipe in the latest Real Simple magazine.

(I love Real Simple. In fact, I just got a two year subscription to it because they had a special which made each issue about $1.00. It is normally $4.99 in stores.)

So, not only did the recipe blow my skirt up because of all the healthy goodness in it... but it was a crock pot recipe. Which meant that I could make it on a day that I worked late and then Kev would come home to a fresh, hot meal.

What could be better about that?

I'm sure Kev would say that coming home to me would be better than just a hot meal.... but he is not around right now, so I don't know for sure.

So, I pulled out the crock pot from it's new completely organized home....

Add threw in the following:
1 can of black beans - drained and rinsed.
1 can of kidney beans - drained and rinsed.
4 cloves of garlic. chopped.
1 green pepper. chopped.
1 medium sweet potato. peeled and chopped.
1 medium red onion. chopped.
1 TBS. chili powder
1 TBS. cumin
2 15oz cans of fire roasted tomatoes. With juice.
1/2 cup water.
salt and pepper.
And I added in a jalapeno pepper. Just because I need heat in my life.

I set the crock pot to 8 hours. And went to work. Or if you don't have to work you can take a nap. Or whatever the heck you feel like doing because your dinner is basically taken care of for you.
It says to serve the chili with tortilla chips, sour cream, and freshly sliced radishes.
Kev forgot about the radishes. Which proves how much he needs me around during meals.
But other than that - he said it was VERY good and he really enjoyed it. He even commented that the chips were a nice side as they added some crunch.
I love my little food critic. He makes what I love doing so much more fun.
And on a side note.... while I was prepping vegetables.... I happened to catch a "story". Or what some people call a soap opera. And let me just tell you that it was the cheesiest and silliest thing that I had seen in a long time. And I sit through some pretty weird shows with Kev. The funnier thing about it was that I used to watch these religiously with my Mom. We were a little obsessed. I remember when Santa Barbara first aired - we actually sat there with pen and paper and wrote down every one's names and relationships.
Yes we did.
So, I don't know if they have always been so bizarre and we just didn't realize it. OR if we really enjoyed watching such ridiculousness.
We probably enjoyed the ridiculousness.
Regardless, I got a good laugh out of it.
And now I'm off to try some chili. And make believe it is roast.




No comments:

Post a Comment