The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Friday, January 7, 2011

An Anniversary Dinner

Ok. So, we haven't had a theme dinner in quite a while now. And as you know that is one of our (my) favorite things.



Which is why I planned an Asian themed meal to celebrate our sixteenth.



And also because I was dying to wear this kimono as something other than a robe.



My sister, Holly, brought this back for me from Yongsan, Korea a bunch of years ago. And I've been in love with it ever since. I blame my reading of Memoirs of Geisha. I fell in love with the culture, the beauty, and the ritual.



I would love to learn so many things. But for now, I will just have to learn how to make the food.



I started with a vegetable stir fry that I found in a Paula Deen magazine. Full of yellow squash, zucchini, carrots, garlic, wild mushrooms, green onions, and red cabbage.


And then put it over some soba noodles. This was our first time to have these buckwheat noodles - and they were DELICIOUS!
I whisked together a "sauce" made of soy sauce, sesame oil, and vege broth and poured it over the top.
And it was AMAZING!! Loved all the flavors, all the colors, all the textures. It is definitely a make again meal! Not to mention that it was super healthy.
But that wasn't all.
I made some edamame and sprinkled it with kosher salt.
And then there was the sushi. Straight from Publix. We had avocado rolls. A brown rice vegetable sushi roll. And a crunchy shrimp roll.

The whole meal.

Purposely plated on our "vintage" black plate collection. Courtesy of when our two lives merged back in the early 90's. It seems our finding each other was fate as we both had the EXACT same dishware set.
So, another year has passed. And I'm more in love with Kev today than I was the day I married him. Probably because we have much better hairstyles and clothes these days. But seriously, I got lucky. And I will never take it for granted.
Oh, and just in case you are wondering. Kimonos are fun to wear as every day clothes. You can be dressed up and still comfortable. I'm trying to think of a way to incorporate this one in to my every day wardrobe.








No comments:

Post a Comment