The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Burnathon

Wow. What an incredible morning!



I am absolutely BLOWN away by every thing that went in to making the Burnathon a success!



My focus today was Camp Kemo. A week long camp for cancer patients ages 5-18 and their siblings. The camp not only gives these patients an opportunity to participate in fun every day activities, but it builds trust, self esteem, relationships and so much more.



You can read all about it here:



http://campsite.palmettohealth.org/



My family has been blessed enough to not have to experience this horrific disease among the children. And my heart truly goes out to any family having to deal with childhood cancer.



I had no idea what to expect from this fund raiser as I was the first to sign up for the 9am class a month ago before all the details were worked out. I wasn't even sure if the class would be full.



But you can imagine my delight when I showed up 10 minutes early and saw a LINE waiting to get in! My heart was SO full. And the 9am class was the second fund raising class for the day! There were even people waiting to see if some one didn't show up so they could have their bike.



The instructors at the gym REALLY outdid themselves in making this a wonderful event. I can't even imagine all of the hard work and time and dedication this took to pull off. And if I didn't already love the instructors enough - this made me appreciate them even more.



They are truly motivating, caring, and giving people!



My class was taught by The Charlie's Angels!! At least that is what I call them. My three favorite teachers in Lexington. AND I was lucky enough to sit next to one of my favorites from the Columbiana gym.



We rode to sixteen songs. Each song was dedicated to a child with cancer that our donations were ensuring their participation in this camp.



Between songs - there were raffle prizes and snacks. The instructor's children had on shirts that said "pit crew" and they were walking around offering waters, apples, bagels, and bananas. Too cute!



So what if I was drenched at the end of class. So what if I couldn't feel my legs. So what if I forgot to wear deodorant. It was worth EVERY SINGLE SECOND!



And yes, I was very emotional. Throughout the entire class. Looking at a child's picture and imagining what they and their families are going through.



I have so much to be thankful for! And I shouldn't have to take a spin class to remind me of that!



And now, on a lighter note.... I've got some pictures from the day.....



My breakfast of champions:



Two pieces of toasted Ezekial bread with Trader Joe's crunch peanut butter, banana slices, and a drizzle of honey.


( It seems to work well for long distance runners - so, I figured I would give it a try) ( And it was so YUM and worked great)


An amazing shot of my sweaty hair and ear and a blurry backside.....



My intention was to show you the unexpected gift bag we all got for participating. Obviously, my awesome picture taking skills need a little more work. :)


The stuff inside the bag....


A towel, t-shirt, water bottle, samples of stuff, coupons, and even a gift card to a chiropractor. WOW!


And the great thing about the shirt is that it shows all of the places in Lexington that donated to make this event a huge success!!



I'm so proud of my community of Lexington!! ( And yes, I "claim" Lexington as my community even though I live in Gaston - some times it is better for my reputation)


Just remember that every little bit makes a difference! You don't have to be a millionaire to help out others. You can even give NO money to a cause and help out by volunteering your time.


My spin class alone was able to raise enough to send 16 children to the camp for a week.
And to my incredible instructors - Thanks SO much for an amazing experience!! You all are the reason I keep coming back! :)
And now I am off to take a long over due shower. And try to pull myself together before Kev gets home.
I would hate to scare him away after a long day of work.



No comments:

Post a Comment