The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Monday, March 21, 2011

Tomato Tea Sandwiches. For A Good Cause!

Y'all know how much I LOVE a tea party! 

Tea parties are my all time favorite way of eating a meal.  The small bite sized portions.  The option to taste many different foods.  The chance to be girly and lady like.  And the tea.  I love the tea - even though I am happy to say that I am only drinking decaf these days.

Well, I am thrilled to announce that I have been given the opportunity to blog for a good cause.  And the theme just happens to be "tea parties".


The good cause is to raise money for Ovarian Cancer Research.

Kelly Ripa, Electrolux, and Foodbuzz are all working together to raise money for the cause. On Kelly Confidential, you can select a perfect tea party outfit for Kelly’s Tea Party for a Cause. When you do, Electrolux will donate $1 to the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund!

Foodbuzz and Electrolux are also partnering to host a Top 9 Tea Party Takeover on Friday, March 25th. In a Top 9 Takeover, Foodbuzz asks all Featured Publishers to construct a post around a theme and then, for one day only, all Top 9 posts reflect that theme. For this Electrolux Tea Party Top 9 Takeover, Foodbuzz has asked all Featured Publishers to create the perfect tea party recipe, and Foodbuzz will donate $50 to the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund for every tea party recipe created!

I think that is so amazing!

The minute I received the email - I knew I was in. 

But what in the world was I going to make?

After lots of deliberating.... I went back to one of my favorite tea party recipes of all times.

The Basil Tomato Sandwich.

This recipe is from my Cousin Angela's Aunt Kay. 

And you can find the recipe on Angela's blog... The Gallup Family.

My vision for this particular tea party was Southern.  Red themed.  And more like a outdoor picnic.



 Even though these little delights work just as good at a more upscale event.  Like a bridal shower, baby shower, or as an appetizer at a dinner party.

I followed Aunt Kay's recipe perfectly.  But then decided to make three different versions of the sandwich - just to give some other options to vegans or vegetarians or people that just don't care for bacon. 




Every sandwich received the basil mayonnaise mixture.  Which would also work well with a vegan mayonnaise... such as veganaise.

And they all received the salt and peppered tomato.

But then I changed the toppings up a bit.

The first one (from left to right) has a slice of fresh mozzarella.  You could also drizzle a little balsamic vinaigrette on the cheese.

The second one has chopped red onions and avocado.  If onions are a concern.... the avocado is amazing by itself.

And the last one is per the original recipe.  With crumbled bacon.
 I am in love with all three. 
 They are so light and refreshing and PERFECT for a beautiful day like today!

In planning this "red" tea party... I came up with some other goodies to make the event complete.  Like chocolate covered strawberries, mini red velvet cupcakes, raspberry tarts, roasted red pepper bruschetta, shrimp cocktail, and strawberry tea.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have.  Recipes passed amongst family members always seem to be the best!

And please don't forget to go to Kelly Confidential to join the virtual tea party!  $1 will be donated to Ovarian Cancer Research as soon as you join!

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you are always trying to help out a worthy cause!! I'm so proud of you!! Love, mom

    ReplyDelete