The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Friday, March 4, 2011

Healthy Traveling

I'm not gonna lie.  Traveling while trying to eat/stay healthy is tough.  Even tougher if you are working more than your average day.

Or maybe that was better for me.  Now that I think about it.  I literally had NO time to crave and succumb to all the amazing restaurants that were surrounding me.

It is even tougher to be traveling while on a cleanse.  My "allowed" food was way more limited than it would normally be.

And that is where my annoying habit of over planning really works in my favor. 

I had every meal and snack covered, portioned, and in it's own container. My only issue was that I grew so tired of bean soup.  I definitely need to remember to have more diversity in my meals.  But, unfortunately, I didn't have a back up plan.

So, I ate it all any way.  Sigh.

 As far as the working out.... well, it started off on the right foot. I happily awoke on Tuesday morning at 6:30 at hit the gym.  I ran, walked at an incline, and ellipticalled.

It felt amazing. 

And that was the last time I ever saw that beautiful room.

The rest of my week was spent at work or in bed.  I never turned on the tv.  I never took any pictures.  I never really got a chance to go shopping (total bummer).

Now I am home.  And don't really have anything to show for it.

Except for I did get to experience a delicious lunch on my last day.  At Nordstrom. 

I had never been in a Nordstrom in my life.

But they have a delightful cafe full of organic meals with fancy ingredients that seem straight off of Top Chef.  And I realized that when looking at a healthy menu with a different perspective.. there are some really amazing foods and flavors and all around yumminess.  And eating out doesn't have to mean fried and smothered and cheesed and covered.

And extra chili-ed if you are Kev in the days of Waffle House dates.  (yes, our first date was at Waffle House.  I ordered a bowl of grits.  Kev had the patty melt.  And we fell in love over the loud hustle and bustle of flipping hashbrowns and flinging grease)

I was able to order the freshest most delicious salad I have ever had.  It was an Asian honey chicken salad with too many ingredients to name.  I got the dressing on the side - and really didn't even use it.  The salad was perfect by itself. 

And then I went back to work. 

And drove home late last night.

And am staring at my romaine lettuce and tomato and not really wanting to eat salads like that any more.

I've been spoiled.

I guess that gives me the push I needed to start creating some delicious salads for dinner.

So, sorry there are no pictures and no great stories.  I really did go on this trip with good intentions.

But just know that I am SO happy to be home.  Where life continues as normal.  And spin class makes me sweat so much that not even my beloved hat can keep it from running down my face.  I think even my eyelashes were sweating this morning. 

In fact, I'm sure of it.

And now I've got mere hours to unpack, do laundry, cook, and watch Top Chef before I head to Girl's Night.  Laura is in town!! And I hope she brought her baby bump! 

Life is good!





No comments:

Post a Comment