The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Grill

Every thing tastes better hot off the grill. 

At least in my opinion.

I could eat grilled food every single day of the week.

And if it wasn't for the trouble it takes to clean it and the fact that I don't know how to use one (even though Kev gave me lessons last year).... I would pretty much be outside cooking every night.

Instead I will have to settle for Kev grilling one to two nights a week.

I've been counting the days ever since he announced that he was getting the grill out on Sat.

And he even let me choose what I wanted him to make.

Luckily I had the perfect book to choose from...
It is from Williams Sonoma.  And it is titled Grilling.  It basically tells you every thing you have ever wanted to know about grilling.  Not to mention the gazillion recipes.

I love it.  I gave it to him two years ago ( I think) for Father's Day.  ( because he is a "father" of plants)

I decided on the Ginger-Soy Flank Steak with grilled green onions.

Flank steak is definitely one of the healthier cuts of meat.  Not to mention that it can be flavored just about any way you want to and used in a million different ways.

It is definitely our favorite steak... after the million dollar tenderloin that we only purchase for VERY special occasions.
I was responsible for the marinade.  It was a mixture of ginger, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, and pepper.
You only have to marinade for 30 minutes.

And then it is grilling time....
I pretty much lounged around for the rest of the grilling process.  Fully enjoying the weather and praying that the thunderstorm would stay away just a little bit longer.

I also enjoyed Kev's entertainment.  He is quite the dancer if you didn't know.

And yes, we are ALWAYS rocking out to eighties tunes when we are outside.  And inside.  And in the car. 

Actually, there is really not a time when we aren't.  Except for maybe sleeping.


The finished product....
And he grilled up some zucchini, squash, and asparagus to go along with it. 

They were tossed lightly in olive oil, pepper, and garlic salt.
And folks.  This is where I need you to know that this was one of the best meals I have had in a very long time. 

It blew my socks off.  And shoes.  And Wonder Woman mask.

The flavors on the steak were amazing!  And the veggies.... well, they were perfectly crispy and perfectly seasoned.  Kev even LOVED the asparagus!! And he is usually not a fan. 

Next time, I will have to throw in some brussels.  :)

I added some organic jasmine rice... and this was our meal...

This meal is the reason that I can never be a vegetarian.  Even though these days I eat vegetarian most of the time.

We ate outside by the light of the kitchen...


And it started to rain the second that Kev sat down.  Perfect timing.  

We spent most of the meal discussing all of the things we want to try on the grill this year.  We received so many fun sauces and utensils and grilling gear items for Christmas.  All I know is that it is going to be a fun food-filled summer!

Which will be no different from any other summer.  :)

1 comment:

  1. That is quite a coincidence that you mentioned Wonder Woman mask! When Ash and I were shopping at the mall on Sat., we passed Belk's, who has two Wonder Woman stands in the cosmetic dept. I told Ash the story of how you used to adore Wonder Woman, and dressed up like her for Halloween one year - mask and all! She died laughing!! Love, mom PS I love the way Kev always poses for your pics!! Ha!

    ReplyDelete