The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Fight Club


The first rule about Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club.


Except for I always seem to do the opposite of what I am told AND have trouble keeping a secret.

At least about things as cool as this.

Fight Club University.

Just to give you a little back story... in case you just started reading.... I have a bizarre obsession with boxing.   It's not that I really watch it on tv or anything ( even though I LOVE a good boxing movie), I have just always wanted to be a boxer when I grew (grow?) up.  In fact, I used to dream that MTV would call me for their show "Made" and would make me in to one.

The only problem.... I can't stand the thought of being hit in the face. 

I could take it any where else... but not in the face.  It just looks way too painful.

Anyway, back in February ( I think), Living Social posted a deal that was for 15 boxing classes for $15. 

It was a deal I couldn't refuse.  $15 to live a dream.  Fantastic.

The only problem.... I was petrified of what I was getting myself in to.  So, I recruited a friend.  Chelsea.

And luckily she said she would do it.

Fast forward to this week....

We finally had the opportunity to schedule a class.  For Monday morning.

And with nervous excitement we arrived at our location.
A warehouse dedicated to boxing.  On the other side of the railroad tracks.  Straight out of a movie.

We had no idea what we were getting ourselves in to.

Kev had us as prepared as he possibly could.  With boxing gloves ( I happen to own two pair due to my obsession) and wrist wraps.

And a text that said "Good Luck!"

We were nervous.  But ready to face our doom.  Until another lady showed up and said to be prepared to "toss our cookies" during the class.  Because that is how she felt when she took it for the first time.

Wonderful.

I immediately started to get nauseous.  Chelsea didn't eat breakfast for that very reason.

And then our trainer arrived.  Cory.

He is an actual boxer that participated in the Olympics.

He takes boxing very seriously.  And has no sympathy for weakness or exhaustion.  Or girls.

Fortunately, there were only five of us in the class.

Unfortunately, there were only five of us in the class. 

That means you pretty much get one-on-one training at all times.  Even when your arms are too tired and your legs are giving out. 

"There is NO rest for a boxer!!"



Do you see those big tires in the background?  We had to jump up and down on top of them while moving our feet back and forth - quickly- without falling in the hole.

Do you see those punching bags?  We had to punch them like it was the only way to survive.  While squatting and ducking oncoming blows.

Do you see the long stretch of green floor?  ( It is twice the size of what is shown in the picture) We had to do walking lunges the entire length of the floor WHILE punching our arms.  And then run backwards to get back to the start.

Have you ever had to run backwards when you are completely exhausted?

It.is.so.hard.

The entire class was intense.  Our faces were red from the minute Cory said go. 

But it was awesome!! And felt amazing!! And was SO.MUCH.FUN!

And what made it even better was to do it with a friend...

I seem to be giving the "I'm in pain but I'm so happy" smile.  And my hair... let's not even mention it. 

I was too exhausted to care.

We have both been sore for days.  Chelsea in her legs... me more in my upper body.  But it is the kind of soreness that I love.

We have decided to go weekly until our pass runs out.  And then I don't know what I'm going to do  because I have a feeling I'm going to get really attached.

Who knows?  Maybe MTV will start a channel for middle aged people.  And we can have fun reality makeover shows too.

And I will get to wear a silky robe with my name on the back.  And will actually be able to compete in the ring.

Until that time comes though.... I hope Cory doesn't mind putting up with us.  Because we sure don't mind putting up with him. 

                                                

1 comment:

  1. Kim! You are a hoot!! Never a dull moment around you!! And I got caught up on your blogs!! Yay!! I got really behind because of a certain someone who came into my life 2 1/2 weeks ago - tiniest Abigail Marie!! My whole life revolved around her!! I tried to get caught up on Friday, but everyone started arriving for the birthday celebration, and I had to put it on hold. But I was determined to get caught up today, and if you look back, you will see that I left several comments! It only took me a couple of hours, because I have to read the funny parts over and over so that I can laugh until I cry. And there are tons of funny parts!! Thanks for making my day!! Love, mom

    ReplyDelete