The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Monday, February 28, 2011

Bean Soup






I'm in Raleigh.  I drove here this morning with a car packed to the gills.  In fact, I don't think I have ever packed that much for a four day trip before.  And hopefully, Kev won't tell you otherwise. 

That is the thing I love most about driving to my destination.  Being able to pack whatever you want. 

I packed so much that I had to borrow the luggage cart from the front desk to get every thing up and into my room. 

It was embarrassing.  Especially because we (me and the cart) did not get along.  I bumped him in to just about every wall and door that I could. 

The reason for my heavy packing:  FOOD. 

At least most of it was.  Minus the hang-up bag, suitcase, pair of cowboy boots, camera case, computer case, purse, and makeup crate.

And just so you know I just rolled my eyes at myself for the above sentence.

As far as the food goes, I had an ice chest and a tote bag full of goodies. 

I'm such a party animal on the road.... wining and dining myself in the hotel room.

But so far it has worked fabulously.  Especially since I am literally working from open to close every day this week. 

And I am not just living off of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and apples... even though I have packed plenty of those items..... I am having real meals.  Of buckwheat noodles and bean soup.

 I call it a soup - but it is really a chili.  A thick, hearty, healthy chili.  A chili that tastes great cold when you don't have access to a microwave.

I actually made it for our dinner last night... allowed Kev to eat a bowl full... and then packed up the rest for the trip.

It is super easy, convenient, and took about an hour to make - 45 minutes of that was simmering.

However, don't be fooled by my glorious pictures (haha) and assume that I have a great photo session all planned out.  Because I don't - AT ALL.  And even though I tried to take pics of every thing... I ran out of time and just ended up throwing the other items in the pot.  Food continues to cook whether you have had a chance to take a picture or not.

I also wanted to clean out my fridge of all produce before I left home - so, it is a lot of randomness.

I started with caramelizing some leeks in olive oil...


Then added one green pepper, one red pepper, two jalapenos, and two chili peppers...

As you can see, I am not a very patient chopper.  I almost always end up using more of a "chunk" instead of a "finely diced" veggie.  I just cut the hot peppers in rings.  Which is super fun if you get a couple in your mouth all at the same time.

Two large cans of whole tomatoes with juice/sauce.  I used organic.
And then this is the point that I realized I was taking way too long and the chili was becoming impatient.  So, I threw in a can each of black beans, garbanzo beans, and kidney beans.  And about a cup of chopped green onions.  Then added chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.

And set it to simmer...

I LOVED it.  It was filling and chunky and full of flavor.  And the best part is that I didn't have to open a container of veggie broth and end up wasting the rest because it goes bad so fast.  ( I hate that!!)

Kev's meal: Large salad with cheese, two honey wheat rolls, and the "soup"

Kim's serving: minus the bread and cheese...

And now I must call it a night.  I've got another long day ahead of me.... starting with my 6:30 wake up call to hit the hotel gym!!  I'm actually kind of excited about that. 

We will see if I feel the same way once my alarm goes off.

No comments:

Post a Comment