The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Pizza! Pizza!

I can't make a trip to Whole Foods without getting some fresh pizza dough.

One regular. One whole wheat.

I bought some on my birthday and discovered that making our own pizzas at home was just about the greatest thing ever.

It not only brings back memories of our young romance at the local Little Caesar's Pizza.... but of my birthday parties growing up where we would have "make your own pizza" as the dinner theme.

There is just something about having a multitude of toppings to choose from. And being in control of where they are placed. And making my most favorite meal in the world.

Have I mentioned how much WE love pizza?

Which is fitting as we fell in love next to a pizza oven. Discussing how my over abundance of toppings made the pizza hard to slice.

Who needs their pizza sliced anyway? I will take the whole pie with a fork. Thankyouverymuch!

The other thing that I love about making our own pizzas is that it puts both of us in the kitchen together. I'm in charge of the toppings. Kev is in charge of the dough.


I decided to go pretty basic with the toppings. Even though I love just about any vegetable on a pizza.

And I got all of our toppings from Trader Joe's.

These three sweet red peppers were ONLY 99 cents.


That is a fantastic deal... for those of you who are in to that kind of thing.

I cut them in to strips. And then cut them in half.

And then I decided to caramelize the onions. Just to give them a little different flavor.




Fortunately, we both love onions and eat them in just about every meal. That way our onion breath cancels each other out.
Unfortunately for others, we love onions and eat them in just about every meal.
Which is why there is always a pack of gum at the ready.
Just in case our guests want to sing karaoke or play a whispering game.
You never know what a guest is going to want to do. All ONE of them that visits each year.
Our toppings bar....

If you haven't tried FRESH mozzarella on your pizza.... then what the heck are you waiting for?
It is the right thing to do.
The dough maestro....
That man can work magic with his hands.
He should teach classes.
It brought back fond memories of me sitting on the edge of a long stainless steel table watching him roll hundreds of dough balls getting ready for a busy Saturday night.
And yes. I was just sitting there watching. It is what I do best.
I'm sure I was keeping him entertained though. With my one-sided discussion on which 80's hair band had the biggest (therefore the best) hair.
There is a reason Kev is so quiet. He has never been given a chance to speak.



My pizza. Extra thick with too many toppings.... including onions, red peppers, tomatoes, and cheese....haphazardly thrown in an unorganized fashion.

Kev's meticulous pizza with equal amounts of red peppers, green peppers, onions, pepperoni and cheese.


But that's not all folks. Because Kev got the fabulous idea to make CRAZY BREAD!! Just like back in the day.
The day when we lived off of Little Caesars and ate it at just about every meal.
He rolled out another fresh dough.
Cut it in slices and baked it.
And then I brushed garlic butter on the top...

And sprinkled freshly grated parmesan cheese...

IT.WAS.TO.DIE.FOR!!
At least I thought so! Or maybe it was because I haven't had such rich buttery goodness in a couple of months...
But let me just tell you that I ate a TON of those heaven sticks. Way more than necessary.
In fact, I ended up making myself sick! I haven't been that full since the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot back in October. And considering that I eat pretty healthy most of the time... well, the bread sticks just did me in.
Who knew that crazy bread would be my kryptonite?
Lesson learned. Just because I could eat ten of them at nineteen doesn't mean I can eat that many now.... at the old(er) age that I am.

But they sure were worth it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment