The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Post Race Celebration

What a glorious day!!  I am enjoying this weather more than you know.   In fact, I'm sitting outside right this very minute listening to the sounds of Spring, smelling the beautiful weather smells (pool chlorine and fresh air), and drinking the most refreshing drink.
The La Croix - very berry flavor - which is new (to me).  I've grown to really enjoy this flavored (all natural) sparkling water and it really hits the spot when you are having a craving for a soft drink or a cocktail.  Except for I would probably be having a cocktail right now if I could.  Especially after Kev just told me about a watermelon sangria that he just found the recipe for.

It sounds perfect for a Fourth of July party.

Or for just about any warm, beautiful day.  You know that I can always find a reason to have a "party".

Today has been so relaxing.  And productive.  I have cleaned out the fridge, cooked, baked, vacuumed, packed, planned, and loaded the car.

I have also spent a lot of time thinking about the run yesterday.  Especially, after I read a post from Caitlin regarding negative self talk.  I just wish that I had read it a day sooner..... or ten years ago, for that matter.  It is a great read if you have the time... and if you don't, then it would do you good to make some. :)  Today was all about focusing on the positives.  Focusing on the experience.  Focusing on the reason that I love to run races in the first place.

First of all, I am barely sore.  My quads are a little tight and my hip flexors are a little sore... but other than that I feel amazing.  That includes my KNEE and my SHINS.... which ALWAYS hurt after a lot of running.  I give credit to yoga.  It has absolutely changed me!

Second of all, I feel that I did a wonderful job with my breathing.  I can some times (especially when I get flustered) start breathing a little too hard which makes me sound like a prank caller and results in people running faster to get away from me.

Or maybe it is just that they run fast anyway.

I was also able to have a conversation with that 82 year old gentleman.  That along with my limited soreness tells me that I am on the right track.  That I have potential.  That I should not (and will not) give up.  And so Kev and I discussed a better training plan.  A plan to get me more focused on my goals of running.

Kev would make a great personal trainer.  I'll have to add that to his his list of features... just in case I ever need to sell him on Ebay. 

As far as celebrating last night.  Well, it got a little crazy in our house.  Because of these beauties...

I had three delectable avocados.  $1 each from Trader Joe's.  And they were creamy buttery perfection.  I had originally planned to make a bean chili for dinner... but upon feeling the need to have a celebratory meal I decided to make guacamole and nachos instead. 

And, of course, Kev thought it was a fabulous idea.

I kept it very simple.  Fresh tomatoes.  One jalapeno.  Salt and pepper.

I could seriously eat this stuff by the gallon.  It just makes me so happy. 

But what made me even happier was my discovery of these chips...

They are the healthiest chips I have ever seen in my life.  I have read the package at least seventeen times trying to figure out what is bad (unhealthy) about them.  And cannot find a thing.  I can even eat them on my cleanse.  And I'm telling you for a fact that they taste better than Tostitos.  In fact, I don't think I will ever go back to regular chips.  They are so crunchy and perfectly salted and full of healthy goodness.... like seeds.  Seeds in chips...you will just have to trust me!


For the main course of nachos, I used organic blue corn chips.  Which were o.k. straight out of the bag - but were amazing once heated up.  I put a layer of them on a baking sheet and topped with rotisserie chicken, black beans, caramelized onions, red peppers, green peppers, and a smidge or two of pepper jack cheese.

Then I broiled it until it got hot.



It tasted divine.  And was the perfect meal to end a wonderful day.

And luckily it made so much that I was able to make several more meals out of it for Kev while I am out of town.  I've already portioned it out, bagged it up, and put post-its on the outside to let him know when he should eat it. 

Just because I am out of town doesn't mean that he will be free from my OCD food planning.  :)  At least he doesn't have to wait for me to take pictures of it before he can eat.


No comments:

Post a Comment