The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Friday, February 4, 2011

A Not So Sloppy Dinner

I went vintage for my workout today.

2001 vintage.


Which means it was a VHS tape.

One of the only VHS tapes that I can't seem to get rid of.


Because we have a connection. Me and Billy Blanks. The Tae-bo king.

I have several of these tapes. And they are the one workout that no matter how much time passes... I can't stop going back to. There is something about punching and kicking a punching bag that makes my skirt fly up.

It is truly the BEST way to get your frustrations out.

My frustration right now: the ladybugs that live in my bathroom. They have definitely worn out their welcome. They are like pests with cute outfits on.

Anyway. I wrapped my wrists. I "gloved" up. And I gave that punching bag a what for.

It was the right thing to do.

And I felt amazing when I was done.

And I feel the need to mention that I can tell such a difference in my body since I started yoga. I can't completely explain it... but my core feels stronger. I have better balance. And my knee doesn't hurt one bit!

And I guess I just explained it. So there ya go.

Go to yoga!! Your body will thank you!

So, Friday night's dinner was all about sloppy joes and onion rings. Another great classic meal.. similar to fish sticks and tots.

I guess it has been the week of childhood favorites.

Except that I didn't like onion rings when I was a kid.

In fact, the first onions I really ever liked were in the "bloomin' onion" at Outback Steakhouse.

I applied to work there. When they first came to Columbia. And I can't really remember what happened about it.

Let's just say that they offered me the job and I turned it down.

But regardless, Kev and I went to opening night. And ordered a bloomin' onion based on the waiter's suggestion. And I fell in love.

And I've been eating onions like nobody's business ever since.

But really, onion rings aren't all that healthy. Or so I thought. Until I came across this recipe.

They are baked. But are NOT missing out on any of the great flavor!

I started by cutting the onions...

And dipped them in whole wheat flour. ( A little different from the recipe) Salt and fresh ground pepper.

Then the egg and milk...

And last but not least.... Italian panko.
I have to be honest and say that I was a little skeptical. I just didn't know if they would be worth my time... if ya know what I mean.
But they were FABULOUS!!!!
The only tip I would give you is that it takes a long time to dip each onion in each bowl. Which I know sounds a little obvious... but for some reason, I can't seem to think of that in advance. Which means that I always start the process a little too late and then dinner seems to take forever.
Which, fortunately, Kev is completely used to.
And then I made the sloppy joes.
When I was growing up our sloppy joes consisted of a soup mixture with ground beef in it. I remember that it made the bread mushy with all of the juiciness. And I loved it.
And then I grew up and started cooking for myself. And I discovered Mamwich. And I thought it was fabulous. And I made it weekly.
It doesn't get any easier than Mamwich.
But this stuff... well, it is thick and hearty and healthy. So, it really is the best.
If you are looking for a "sloppy" sandwich, that is.
I use Boca crumbles for the meat.

And then mixed in one chopped onion. One chopped red pepper. One small can of tomato paste (6oz). Two cloves of garlic -minced. Chili powder. Cumin. Crushed red pepper. Salt. Pepper. ( I just "eye ball" the spices. We like our stuff a little spicier than most)
All in a skillet set on medium high heat.
It only takes about 10 minutes.
And then you have this...

I put the sloppy joe on an english muffin. Added some romaine lettuce and a tomato. And it was perfect.
Perfectly unsloppy.
Add some onion rings. And a side of ketchup.
And dinner is complete.

And if you want to be crazy like me... then you can put some of the onion rings on the sloppy joe.
Trust me. It is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment