The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Crabs and Peaches

I know it is an odd coupling.  But it is a match made in heaven.

Actually, the peaches were the heavenly delight and really the only star of the show.

But since the entire meal was planned around me making crab cakes......I had to throw it in the title so feelings wouldn't get hurt.

Before I tell you all about last night's meal, though, I need for you to know that it is storming like a crazy insane storm from one of those crazy storm movies.  On a morning that I was supposed to be running in a half marathon.  OR the Marine Mud Run. 

And I am sooooo thankful that I am sitting at home on my couch right now.

I backed out of the Marine Mud Run for fear of injuring my already "old lady" knees.  And then backed out of the half marathon due to the need for better training. 

Things always seem to work out for the best.  :)

Anyway.... About last night....

I received my current issue of Clean Eating in the mail last week.

And much to my delight, it had a "clean" version of crab cakes on the front.  With fruit salsa. 

I asked the issue to marry me on the spot.

 My favorite magazine + one of my favorite foods ( is there any food that is not one of my favorites?) = the perfect storm.

Like what is happening outside right now.  hehe.

The only issue with fresh crab meat is that it is expensive (to me)!  So, I went with canned crab meat (per the magazines suggestion) and just made sure that I chose a brand that was "all natural". 

 The recipe called for all kinds of yummy ingredients.  Whole wheat panko crumbs, green onions, eggs, and yummy spices. 

One of the spices happened to be a cajun mixture.  Luckily, I had this....

 I have been DYING to use this stuff.  It is part of the amazing collection Kev received for Christmas.  The Dinosaur is a FAMOUS (like it was on the Food Network's best chicken BBQ in the country famous) BBQ joint that just happens to be located in Syracuse, NY. 

And since the only thing that keeps us (me and Kev) occupied, quiet, and out of mischief is watching the Food Network.... it is on in our house most of the time.

We happened to watch the show.  Freaked out because Dave and Laura live there.  Texted Dave to tell him that he had to go to this famous place.... only to find out that he eats there all the time.

I think that means my brother is famous.  In some kind of strange way.

Needless to say, Kev asked for BBQ sauce and accessories from the Dinosaur for Christmas.  And the rest is history....

(  My five year old self would never believe  that one day bottles of sauce and seasoning would make my whole Christmas)

Not only did the spice smell SO good.... but it was an amazing seasoning for the crab!

I formed the mixture in to 8 cakes - and put it in the fridge for 30 minutes to mesh together.

 Meanwhile, I sauteed some squash in safflower oil.  And made couscous for the very first time!
 Who knew that couscous only takes 6 minutes to make!! That was a major win.  However, it is pretty boring and bland by itself..... so, I am going to have to come up with other ways to make it.

By the time the crab cakes were ready to cook.  I was exhausted.  It was 8:45PM.  And all I had had since 2PM was moldy lemon water. 

So, when the first "cake" crumbled when I tried to put it in the pan.... I just gave up.  I ended up putting all of the cakes in at the same time and crumbled them up.  And then cooked it like a stir fry.  The taste was the exact same... I just didn't have perfectly round discs to serve.

But then came the absolute STAR of the show.  The peach salsa.
 I bought this stuff at Trader Joe's a couple of months ago.  I think we have only had a fruit salsa one other time and thought it was surprisingly good.  So, I thought we should give it a try.

However, for some reason... fruit salsa never sounds good to me when I am thinking about what to make for dinner.

And for that I am forever ashamed.

The recipe called for a strawberry type salsa.... but then suggested buying an organic peach salsa to keep things easy.

Since Kev hates strawberries... and we had a random jar of peach salsa, I figured it was the best time to give it a try.

It is TRULY magical.  OH.MY.GOODNESS!  It is more than magical.  In fact, besides the wedding donuts... I think I have found Kev's new food addiction.

I love it when he gets addicted to food.  It makes me feel more normal.

We almost polished off the entire jar.

And probably would have finished it off... but Kev wanted to save some to wear as cologne to work today.  He is just that in love.

The stuff was the perfect topping for the meal.

And is just as good with a bowl of flaxseed tortilla chips.  We know because we tried it.

I must get back to Trader Joe's asap.  Our happiness depends on it.

So, in a nutshell.... the crab cakes were very good.  The veggies are always good.  The couscous was bland.  The peach salsa ROCKED MY WORLD.

I'm going to have to figure out how to make it myself.

Especially since I just remembered that we have a peach tree in our back yard.

A tree that just went from being a nuisance to  being my  best friend.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment