The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Monday, May 2, 2011

The Other White Meat



Pork... a loin to be exact... was our challenge for Grill Night this past weekend.

It was scary.  But only because I have an absolute fear of undercooked meat. 

Which is why I tend to over cook it.

Or at least I used to.  Before Kev gave me proper meat cooking instructions.

Pork chops are a no brainer.  I've made the chops a million times.  I get them thin and small and easy to bake.

But the loin... it has taunted me from afar for years.

And I usually have to speed past it without making eye contact.

Publix's meat department is brutal for a raw meat hater.

But we were ready to try something new.  And with a little encouragement from my friend, Melissa, we decided to give the loin a try.

Kev opted to go with the charcoal grill.

 I know that I have said this a million times.... but Grill Night is the best night of my week!! I LOVE sitting outside while Kev cooks the main dish.

Not to mention that I LOVE the smell of fire.

It takes me back to my youth.  A youth that I spent camping and roasting marshmallows.

 (I've got to remember to buy some marshmallows.  My summer happiness depends on it.)

Oh.  And then there is the constant stream of entertainment.  What is not to love about that?


 Air guitar with the pool "leaf scooper thingy".  Classic.

 The marinade that I used was brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, rosemary, salt and pepper.

The pork turned out PERFECTLY!!  
 It was so juicy and flavorful.  And fabulous! 

We served it with wild rice and grilled broccoli.

And topped it with pineapple salsa.
Because it was the right thing to do.

I've got to get back to Trader Joe's soon!!  And by soon.. I mean YESTERDAY!!  We are starting to run out of supplies.

The salsa is incredible.  I don't know if I can ever go back to regular tomato salsa.  The fruit just adds a whole different delight.

Except for I love any kind of salsa... so, forget what I just said.

Speaking of salsa... Cinco de Mayo is just a couple of days away.  What great meal do you have planned?

It should be no surprise to you that mine will include guacamole.

And jalapenos.

On another note, Kev and I just discovered that I am dressed like Richard Simmons right now.  EXACTLY.  And my hair is even a little frizzy. 

I just performed a "Sweatin' to the Oldies" workout.

It was as bizarre and ridiculous as it sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment