The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Friday, May 6, 2011

Cinco de Mayo



It could very well be my favorite holiday of the year.

Or at least it is pretty high up on the list.

I love Mexican food more than you know.... or maybe I should say.. more than you would like to know.

So, give me a reason to celebrate it.. and the jalapenos and cheese start flying.

Literally.

My kitchen is a wreck right now.

Except for there wasn't much cheese.  Believe it or not.

Because I decided to go a different route with our celebration this year. 

And created a Mexican meal that could go down in history for being healthy.

Some thing that is hard to come by.

Even though I have had the time of my life this week reading healthy Mexican recipes.  They are actually all over the place if you just take the time to look for them.

I guess I finally decided to take the time.  :)

My original plan was to do mini Mexican pizzas.  With pico de gallo and guacamole.

But once in the grocery store... my plan changed once I saw these...

Multigrain.  All Natural.  Minimal ingredients.  Clean.

Yes, please!

But comment #3 on the back of the box is what sealed the deal...
Great applause is what I strive for every day!

Even if some times Kev can only muster a sophisticated quiet clap and a loud burp.

And to be honest... I'm happy if he eats more than one bite.

I'm pretty easy to please.

Mostly.

The Farmer's Market was my next stop.

#1.  Because I chose to make the meal vegetarian.
#2.  I heart the Farmer's Market too much for words.
#3.  Delicious, inexpensive veggies are the way to go.
#4.  They play "pickin' and grinnin'" music there.
#5.  I wonder if I could join the Market's band and blow in a jug.  It has always been a dream of mine.

This is what I came home with.  Plus a head of lettuce.
My beauties without their clothes on....
Those avocados were creamy, buttery perfection.  I actually started eating them with a spoon straight out of the bowl.

I should have to cook with hand cuffs on.  Or a muzzle.

However, I'm sure that chaos and hilarity would ensue.

More than usual, that is.

 For protein, I cooked up some organic pinto beans.
I sauteed them in a little olive oil.  With chopped onion, jalapeno peppers, garlic, salt and pepper.
The meal was SO easy.  And super fresh.  The bowls were a little on the smallish side... so, I filled them with beans and then put the guacamole on the top.  On the side I put the pico de gallo and a small salad.
Kev was quick to comment on the nice presentation. 

I love that we act like we are judging a cooking show at every single meal.

Except for I'm still waiting to receive my big check for winning for the best dish.

Kev did go ahead and add sour cream and cheese to his.  Because he is crazy like that.

I have to admit, though, that I didn't miss either one of them one single bit.

I know.  It's insane.

And to replace our beloved margaritas.... I had a lime flavored La Croix sparkling water.
                                        
It was nice to have a celebration without feeling like I was hit with a ton of bricks. 

And it was nice for Kev to not have to pose in a sombrero for his annual picture.

Fortunately for you, I will be making all kinds of Mexican inspired recipes this summer.  I have lists, people!  Lists upon lists.  And I can't wait to get started.

Hope you all enjoyed Cinco de Mayo!

No comments:

Post a Comment