The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Vegan Enchiladas and Yoga

My new job has me working on a different side of town.

A side that I used to only visit to go to The Fresh Market.

A bit of my decision to change jobs was based on what that side of town had to offer me.  Seeing as how I have a slight infatuation with the gym.

(Luckily, my gym membership is good for ALL gyms in the Columbia area.)

So when Kev discovered that a BRAND NEW Gold's had opened just seconds away from my new location....it made me fall in love with the new location a little bit  lot more.

And this NEW gym does not disappoint.  It is Beverly Hills fancy.  Which means it is out of this world. 

It also means that I can NEVER reveal the town I call home.

I would be kicked out for sure.

In fact, I'm surprised I haven't been kicked out already.  Because I spent thirty minutes walking around with my yoga mat... mouth wide open.... gasping for air..... giggling with delight.... fist pumping... and kicking my legs up in the air.

It was just that awesome. 

I think I'm in love.

I was able to participate in a power yoga class.  More yoga than I have ever done before.  My  body didn't have a clue as to what was going on.

My teacher didn't have a clue as to what I was doing in there.

I think she was worried about me.

But she was supportive.  She even walked around the class and corrected positions and gave suggestions.  She probably could have corrected me all day... but I haven't had a pedicure since 1992 and I think she might have gagged a little bit when she touched my feet.

I blame the fact that shoes aren't required at the Walmart that I shop at.

Long story short... or longer... I think this new gym and me are going to be fast friends.  And I think I have found my new home away from home. 

And I realize that I need a pedicure a.s.a.p. 

I'm holding out to get it done for my sister's wedding.  I'm thrifty like that.

On another note.... I made THE BEST enchiladas this side of the Mississippi.  Or in the whole world for that matter.

Enchiladas are my FAVORITE Mexican food... so, I should know.

They are vegan.  And are from Angela at Oh She Glows.

And they are smothered in Avocado cream sauce.

Need I say more.

They gave me the opportunity to FINALLY use this stuff...
Nutritional Yeast.

Or fish food.  As I like to call it. 

I read about it a year ago.  I purchased it a couple of months ago. 

I've stared at it ever since.

It is basically a cheese substitute.  A super healthy version. And worthy of mixing in to recipes.

It kinda gives me the creeps.

And to be honest, we couldn't even taste a cheese flavor in the enchiladas.... but didn't miss the cheese at all.

I'm just as shocked as you are.

The enchiladas were full of this...
And this....

And this...

Black beans, sweet potatoes, spinach.

All cooked to perfection.  And rolled up in these babies...
They were actually pretty darn good.  The tortillas that is.  Some times healthy tortillas taste like cardboard.... but these were soft and flavorful and perfect.

I rolled each enchilada up and placed it in the dish.  Then poured some of the mixture over the top.

While they were baking... I made the avocado sauce. 

My avocados weren't as soft as I would like them to be... so, it was a little more like a chunky salsa than a cream sauce.

But it was still delightful.  And delicious.  And de-lovely.
The finished product was something out of a dream.  A Mexican dream full of enchiladas.

A dream that I have just about every night that I sleep.

Which is not many.  :)

Kev even loved them.  Vegan and all.  And I have to say that these were the highlight of my month.
I will definitely be making these again.  And again.  And again.

They have officially become a part of our family.

I just hope they don't require a lot of attention.  Or need to be let outside to go to the bathroom.

That would be a deal breaker.





1 comment:

  1. please tell! where are you going??? what's the new job?

    ReplyDelete