The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Things You Do For Love

All I wanted was a steak. A thick, juicy, well seasoned steak. And Kev was willing to give me what I wanted. No matter what.

It all started when I found a blog named The Pioneer Woman. It has become my new addiction. It is about a woman who lives on a ranch in Oklahoma with her husband and her four children. She is not only an extremely entertaining writer and an excellent photographer... but she is an amazing cook. She creates food that is right up our alley... and by "right up our alley".. I mean we love every bit of it. Or should I say bite.

I had been collecting her recipes all week. Recipes for a cook out. And I was starving.

But then it started POURING rain. And by pouring... I mean it was raining so hard that I couldn't even see outside. Except to take this picture ......
I felt defeated. The cookout was off. The delicious meat that I had been marinating for hours would never be grilled. Then Kev told me to "knock it off" and to stop feeling sorry for myself. He donned a poncho and LAUGHED in the face of the rain. He was determined to give me my cookout.
You can barely see him... it was a monsoon by now. That or my camera struggled taking these pics in the dark. He is the orange silhouette in the pool house that is scratching his back with the grill scraper/cleaner. That is how he exfoliates. He learned it at the Gaston spa.


Then he called 911 to tell them that he had handled an emergency. The emergency of the cookout that almost wasn't. His wife's empty stomach would be filled soon... and her crankiness would be cured.

Meanwhile... inside the dry, warm, and cozy house. I was fast at work preparing the sides for my glorious steak. Parmesan roasted broccoli. Crash hot potatoes. Crushed red pepper butter for our grilled corn. All made the healthy way... for those of you who are wondering.

And just when I thought I couldn't wait any longer..... the meat arrived. I forgot to mention earlier that he was also grilling chicken. Which I made in to chipolte chicken quesadillas two nights later.


Now for the steak of my dreams......


A glorious flank steak marinated perfectly and grilled to perfection. By my hero... the grill master... The Kevin. This meal will go down in history as "one of my all time favorite meals of all time". It was just that good. There is nothing better than creating an amazing meal together... except for maybe eating banana pudding in the bathtub.
I am really looking forward to Summer this year......





No comments:

Post a Comment