The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

39 And Feeling Fine

I can't believe that I am saying this... but turning 39 was pretty spectacular!  In fact, it was just the kick in the pants that I needed to get my head back on straight.

The past couple of months have been filled with "what ifs" and "should-a, could-a, would-as" and every thing else that comes with reaching mid-life. 

It has been kind of like trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up.

And then wishing that I didn't have to.

But after my day of reflection - I am now ready to face my forties head on!  And am really looking forward to what the future has in store for me!

( It also helped that I received some VERY inspirational and encouraging messages yesterday!! I'm so thankful for my family and friends!!)

And now.... how I spent my birthday...

I woke up to a phone full of birthday messages.... One of them being from my Mom at 4:45am - the exact time I was born!

Keeping with the "week of special birthday meals", I chose pancakes as my birthday breakfast.

Kodiak Cakes to be exact!

Whole wheat, healthy, delicious, and easy peasy to make.  The perfect way to start my day!

I put a little bit of pure maple syrup and peanut butter on them.... to ensure that I was properly fueled for my yoga class... and also because they taste amazing that way!
My hair was especially excited for the day......
It took no less than 77 bobby pins to hold it all down.

Sometimes I wish I had the energy of my hair.  But then I would probably have to be put on medication for Kev to be able to sit in the same room with me.

With an ice chest full of ice ( thanks Kev!), a change of clothes, and my yoga mat... I headed down town to my first ever Hot Yoga class.

Yoga Masala.

You all know that I love yoga.... but taking it "hot" is something that Gold's doesn't offer.  Which is why I jumped at the chance to purchase a groupon for five classes.... and then decided that I would take the first one on my birthday.

It was pretty much AWESOMESAUCE!


I didn't get any more pictures than that.  I didn't want to look like any more of a weirdo than I already did.  ( remember my hair!)

It just so happened to be a small class - which was good for me because the instructor was able to give me a lot of one on one attention... and even did some of the poses right next to my mat! 

It was VERY challenging - but completely fantastic at the same time.  I sweated so much that it felt like 39 years worth of toxins were leaving my  body. 

And my knee feels a thousand times better!

My only regret was that I didn't bring any extra water or nourishment to eat/drink once the class was complete!  An extra bottle of water and a banana would have done the trick.... because I was seriously famished and weak by the time I got to Starbucks!

Speaking of Starbucks... Bethany sent me a gift card for my birthday! 


I had already planned to treat myself to a big giant coffee after class... so, the gift card was an extra special surprise!  I got an iced coffee and a bottled water and then went to Panera.

At Panera, I got a free muffin for my birthday!  I chose carrot and walnut.  (Delish!) And I also got a sandwich to eat on the way to Greenville.

The muffin was so good that I almost ate the entire thing before I remembered to take a picture.

Last year, I started a tradition of me actually taking the day off of work for my birthday - and then driving to Greenville to shop for food at my favorite grocery stores.

It sounds lame.  But shopping for food in cool stores is my second favorite past time. 

(Obviously, my first favorite is eating.)

And now you know why Kev put an ice chest in the car for me....



Let's just say that things got a little out of hand this year. 

But I have about three months worth of goodies to get us through our long, hard winter.

Except for at this point, I'm wondering if we are going to even have a winter.  ( Hi 80 degrees!  I'm sick of you... don't you have some where else you need to be? )

So, between an awesome workout and grocery shopping and talking to family and friends on the phone... my day was pretty fantastic! 

And that was just the first half...

Up Next... Birthday meal # eleventy thousand and one...

No comments:

Post a Comment