The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving

My favorite holiday.
 
Mainly because it is completely encompassed with food.

Recipe researching.  Menu planning.  Cooking.  Baking.  And Eating.

Working full time for Thanksgiving could possibly be the perfect job.

But besides the food, there is also the thankfulness.  A time to REALLY think about all you have to be thankful for. 

Even if you should be doing it every day of the year.

And let me just tell you that my heart was SO full all day!  Between babies and weddings and new relationships and health - it  has been a year of blessings.

And for that we are all so grateful!

*******************

Our Thanksgiving is very routine. 

And is usually a jam-packed day.

I always start out the day watching the parade.  This is usually my time to be frantically cooking my side dishes and trying to get every thing organized for the day.  This year, however, I was very planned out and only had ONE dish to make... of which I had already prepped all the ingredients.

I gave myself a pat on the back.  It was nice to be able to enjoy the morning.

I even fit in an upper body and CORE workout.  ( I've gotta get my core strong so I can run again!)

Our first Thanksgiving was with Kev's family at lunch time and was held at the home of his cousin's family..
Josh, Krystal, and Jayden.

I took a broccoli gratin.  A recipe from Williams-Sonoma.
The gruyere cheese really makes the dish.  It was definitely a hit but I DEFINITELY made way too much - so, it got to go to the next meal as well.
Kev's family has a very laid back Thanksgiving.  Football is on the t.v.  And every one just sits wherever they feel like sitting...on the couch, at the table, on the floor... you can even stand at the counter and eat straight from the dish if that suits your fancy.

Believe me.  I've thought about doing that a time or two.

My goal this year was to not over do it with the food.  I have a tendency on days of celebration to completely overeat and then feel miserable the rest of the day.  I decided early on to try any new dishes/desserts and eat the other items in moderation.

The first meal was a success.  The food was great.  My belly wasn't stuffed.  And it was so nice being able to relax and enjoy the family without having to rush off to the next event.
We even had some time for football....


In Thanksgivings past, we have had our second meal right after our first one and then we have headed out to the movies.

That meant it was a day of clock watching and crazy driving and tummy troubles.  And some of my family members even had a THIRD Thanksgiving to get to.  Holidays can become crazy when you have a large family and/or every one lives in the same city.

But this year, things worked out so much better.  My Mom was able to move her meal to the late afternoon and the movie was seen in between.

Except for the movie times didn't work out too well with our plans... but I will take an unrushed holiday any day over a movie.

My parent's Thanksgiving was at 5pm. 
It has always been very formal.  China.  Place cards.  The best of the best.

I love it that way. 

Even though washing all of that china is the pits...

At least for the person that ends up doing it.

My parent's house was decorated to the nines!  Thanksgiving and Christmas decorations.  And the house smelled like a Fall flavored bake shop.

I took Pioneer Woman's macaroni and cheese and mashed potatoes, the broccoli gratin from Williams-Sonoma, a basic green bean casserole, and a sugar free pumpkin dessert...



To make the pie sugar free... just sub sugar free pudding, cool whip, and skip the caramel.

It is delicious!  Trust me!

I finally realized why I don't ever get many pictures at my parent's house.  It is because my Mom always takes tons of pictures so I usually put my camera away.

Then I only end up with pictures like this...
Random "I'm making a crazy face so take my picture".

Or snapping a picture right when my Mom bowed her head to pray.
Clearly, I need to work on my timing.

Abigail's first Thanksgiving...
And last but not least... my plate...

The food was incredible!  As always!

Before we eat, we go around the table and say what we are thankful for.  It is usually a mixture of very emotional comments and silly comments because we have to have some balance for those of us that tend to cry. 

Like I said... it has been such a blessed year!  And there is an unbelievable amount to be thankful for!

And I am not taking a single bit of it for granted!

We hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

  1. Kim! Dad and I had such a wonderful Thanksgiving also - especially since we could spend it with family!! We are thankful for all of our family, and it is so special to have Abigail, Tanner, and Caroline in our lives! Love, mom

    ReplyDelete