The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Fiesta

We decided to go a little crazy this year in celebration.

Or as crazy as two people can get that are pretty low key when it comes to their birthdays.

I came up with the (brilliant) idea that we could each have an ENTIRE week of celebratory meals.

Seeing as our birthdays are exactly one week apart - that means two weeks straight of awesome food.

And of course two weeks of food required some coordination due to the fact that we love most of the same things.

Thank goodness we are easy going.

And I have a good menu planner.

My first choice was Mexican food.  Cheese enchiladas and rice and beans to be exact.

It is my all time favorite Mexican meal ( and is the BEST when eaten at La Paz in Nashville!)

I decided to make it as authentic as possible.  And used this recipe as a guide.


The corn tortillas after being dipped in oil and enchilada sauce...
I filled each one with cheddar, colby, monterey jack and onions....

And then added an enormous and necessary amount of cheese and onions on top.



(They were perhaps a little too cheesy... if that is even possible.  But I will definitely cut back if I make them again)

I made my own refried beans from pinto beans and the rice was from a mix I got at The Fresh Market.

And no fiesta is complete without Guacamole <== one of my all time favorite foods!

The whole meal was pretty amazing and definitely what I had in mind for my first (of many) birthday feasts.... even if I did go a little crazy on the portion size!  Oops!

Poor Kevin looked as if he was on a episode of Man vs. Food and was barely surviving a food challenge.

Who knew that there was such a thing as the "cheese sweats".

As for my workouts this week... my arms are still recuperating from my ridiculously insane arm workout on Sunday (thanks Kev!) - which means I have been sticking to spin class and body attack. 
But tomorrow morning... I've got BIG plans!  Big plans to take my first ever HOT YOGA class.  I have been dying to try it for forever.  ( thank goodness for groupons!)  And I know that it is going to hurt so good.

And now I'm off to paint my toe nails... I want to look my best for my yoga mat. 

And because I'm hoping pretty toes will draw attention away from any uncoordination.




3 comments:

  1. Happy, Happy, Happy 39th Birthday, Kim!! Have fun at Hot Yoga and your trip to Greenville!! I'm looking forward to my celebrations with you later!! Love, mom
    PS This is my 39th anniversary of becoming a mom! I have some celebrations in store, also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you and Kev have a wonderful birthday! I woke up this morning thinking about you and how excited I was when you were born!! Being your aunt has been AWESOME!! and now that you are an aunt you know what I mean. I love you and wish you all the happiness for the coming year. Hope you see you both soon. Aunt Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please tell me you're going to 915 hot yoga at yoga masala!?!?!?
    Rebecca a.

    ReplyDelete