The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Friday, July 15, 2011

Sore and Successful




Well, almost successful.

I have officially completed my first week of half marathon training and weight lifting training... and let me just tell you that I can barely walk.  Or cook.  Or clean.

At least that is what I'm telling Kev.  haha.

Seriously though, I am SOOOO sore.  And tired.  And I still can't seem to get the whole "eating the right things at the right time" down.  Even though I am eating plenty and filling myself with lots of nutrients.

Case in point..... I ate breakfast this morning at 8am.  Went to get my hair "did".  Ran from 11:30 to 12:30 (yes, I'm still slow).  And then felt like I was going to pass out when I got to the mall.

Granted... I probably should have eaten something before (and after!) I ran - seeing as how I sat in a salon chair for 2 1/2 hours.  But I felt full.  And fine to run.  I guess it is just a lesson learned.

Speaking of hair.... I went to my REAL hairstylist.  The one who doesn't turn my hair a brassy blonde.  And who knows who E.T. is!! ( I'm not sure if I told you... but the girl who messed up my color had no clue who he was!!! YIKES!!  Either I'm super old or she didn't have a childhood. ??)  Anyway, Kelly fixed my "do".  She put it back to the real color.... the color I was born with.... the color that all the gray hairs have overtaken... and we are just going to let it sit at that until my next appointment when we will start  highlighting again.

Wow.  Such a fascinating story.  I'm sure you are sitting on the edge of your seat!

Anyhoo... I have completed my three runs.  And I have completed three workouts.  And (of course) I have some feedback for you!

First of all, I love a good schedule.  So, the schedule that I am following has been awesome.  It gives me something to focus on and check off my list for the day. 

Second of all, I have learned many things about my running.  I.AM.SLOW.  No worries, though.  I have plenty of time ( I hope).  I have been running the track at the gym... of which there are positives and negatives.... but mostly positives.

Like this:
1.  I stay very focused because I am actually MOVING.  Three miles is thirty six laps.  I feel so accomplished every time I cross the line that implies I am on a new lap.
2.  Since I have remembered my IPOD - all has been good.  I seem to be motivated by dirty language- so, Eminem and Limp Bizkit (yes, I know it's old school) have been helping me tear up the track.  Except for tear is probably not the right word....it should more like "scoot".
3.  Kev has thrown in a little Justin Timberlake ( or as I like to say "J.T") for kicks.  I wish someone would invent a sound machine that plays his beat boxing to help you sleep.  I would sleep so good... that's for sure.  I HEART me some J.T.!

And for the negatives:
1.  The track is NOT Disney World.  It is ridiculous to think that it is OK to get in large groups and walk slowly while you talk about boys.  The track is only three lanes wide.  Three small lanes!!  Dodging in and out of your slow walking group is frustrating!
2.  It would be helpful if people that are running would look behind them and to the side of them before they decide to stop mid run to look over the balcony.  They only reasons to stop mid run in the middle of the track are if your feet fall off.
3.  Running in large circles may not be the best way to get me ready for a half marathon.
4.  Very strange people seem to run the track.  Myself included.

And so far I have been unsuccessful in running the entire time.  I feel like I could.  But I just seem to psyche myself out and start to walk.  I think it happens when I start thinking about the fact that I am running and breathing hard and then I just get frazzled.

As for weight lifting.....

I've also got a little feedback on the book....
I have to be honest here and tell you that I haven't read the entire book.  In fact, I started reading it and then just started skipping around to random chapters.

The book is very informative.  And detailed.  And humorous.  And full of great information.  BUT it is a lot of stuff that I already knew.  As in, Kev pretty much has taught me most of the tips and techniques.  It is just that I haven't consistently followed them.  So, for the first part of the book I was bored.  But then it gets in to actual workouts.  And schedules.  And you all know how much I love a schedule and a chart....so, I am ultimately very happy that I purchased it.

The workouts even have pictures and descriptions for you to follow.

Love that.

I just carry my book up to the weight room and workout like I own the place.

Oh... actually I do own the place.  :)  Because it is in my house.

The workouts last between 20-30 minutes.  Perfect for a busy schedule!  At first I felt that I wasn't really getting that great of a workout.... because of my lack of sweat. But I was wrong!! I have been so sore once the evening has rolled around of the day that I lifted weights.

SO SORE!!

And then there is the eating plan.  Not a diet, mind you... but a healthy eating plan.

Well, I'm sure it is all good and wonderful...... but I have learned from (many) past mistakes that eating/diet plans DO NOT WORK FOR ME!!

In this past year, I have come to the conclusion that eating "clean" ( organic, fresh, non chemical) is the best way for ME to stay healthy.

(Unless it is a baby shower or a wedding or a 4th of July celebration)

I don't count calories.  I "eyeball" portions.  I basically just eat what I want. 

So, instead of eating 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with 10 blueberries...... I will probably eat a bowl of plain greek yogurt with a handful of strawberries.  And maybe a spoonful of peanut butter.  And a pinch of dark chocolate.

Some days I'm hungry all day.  Some days I'm  hardly hungry at all. 

So, I'm not even going to pretend that I'm following a special workout eating plan.  Even though I clearly need to watch my fuel intake before and after workouts!

And that is where this comes in to play......

The book does suggest a whey protein supplement for AFTER your workout.  Kev drinks this stuff like it is going out of style.  I have not been a fan due to the ingredient list.  ( hello chemicals!!)  But this stuff isn't so bad... and has a pretty organic list...so, I have been testing it out.  I have been mixing two small scoops with half water and half coffee. 

The coffee helps it not taste so bad.  And gives me that extra wake-up call that I need first thing in the morning.

And yes, I'm back on caffeine.... though trying my darndest to not become obsessed with it!!

I plan to keep you updated on the training and such...... not because I think you are DYING to hear about it.... but because it helps hold me accountable.  :)

And now I am off to soak my sore muscles in a bath.  Or the pool.  Whichever I make it to first.

No comments:

Post a Comment