The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Pulled Pork And All That Jazz



I've got the musical "Chicago" on the brain right now.  And I've been singing the songs and snapping my fingers as I dance around the house with a broom.

I'm not sure which part of that sentence is blowing your mind more.... The fact that I am singing and snapping or the fact that I have a broom in hand.

I don't do either of them very well ( I can only snap with one hand)... but it is the attempt that counts.  Right?

It's also a good thing that our family 4th of July cookout (being held on the 3rd) is mainly outside.

That way I can blame any dirt, dust, or food particles on those pesky frogs that inhabit our pool deck every single night.

They are wild, I tell you.  WILD!

Anyway, there is not really any "jazz" in this post unless you want to count the delicious BBQ that I made the other night.  And actually, I think I will.

Introducing the jazz-tastic pulled pork starter by Williams Sonoma....

Unfortunately, I feel that pork has always gotten a bad rap.  Especially when it is made in to a BBQ.... then it tends to be an all out unhealthy feast.

Supposedly.

But I'm here to tell you that that is truly NOT the case..... depending on how you make it and what cuts of pork you serve.

In fact, ounce per ounce, pork tenderloin is lower in both fat and calories than a chicken breast!  This is due to changes in farming and feeding practices in recent years.

Wow.  Free nutrition lesson.  Coming from me.  Who would have thought?

I can't help myself sometimes.  It's part of my food addiction. :)

( Please keep Kev in your prayers, though, because he has to listen to me spew nutrition and food and farming information all the live long day)

Anyhoo, my point is this... I just made some pretty healthy BBQ and I'm not afraid to say it.

The pulled pork starter has a very TINY list of ingredients all of which are all-natural and healthy.

Gotta love Williams Sonoma for that!  And my sweet Aunt for buying it for me!

I purchased the leanest cut of pork sirloin roast that I could find.... placed it in the crock pot... poured the sauce over the top... and then went for a run.

Dinner doesn't get any simpler than that.

The finished product was perfect!!  Just the right amount of spice meets the right amount of tangy BBQ.  For hardcore BBQ lovers like us... it was delightful!

I served it with chipotle sweet potato fries, whole grain buns, Wickles pickles, and freshly cut watermelon...




It was a taste explosion!  And perfect for a hot summer's day.

The other win was that it made a ton...so, Kev has had lunches for the past couple of days.

Which has given me more time to practice my snapping.

And cleaning skills.

Who am I kidding?  It has given me more time to lay out and get a tan.

Just being honest....

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a perfect summer meal. Thanks for all the laughs.

    ReplyDelete