The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Okey Dokey Artichokey


My Mom used to say that to me when I was young.  Actually, she probably still says it.. because she is funny that way.  And who doesn't love a good rhyme?

The problem is that I had no idea what an artichoke was.  Or did I care to know.  It sounded like something awful and healthy.

But then I grew up and became infatuated with any kind of restuarant appetizer that was hot and had cheese in it.

Which introduced me to the hot artichoke dip.

Yum. 

Then, Paula Deen introduced me to the most amazing artichoke AND spinach dip.  I fell completely in love.

But I still had yet to eat an artichoke plain.

At least, not that I know of.

Until now. 

 I received this jar of grilled artichokes as a gift....

I was determined to make something healthy with them.  Something that I could actually taste the artichoke without it being smothered in a million other flavors.

I googled "grilled artichokes" and came up with a cold tortellini pasta salad.

Perfect.

Especially since I can't move an inch these days without sweating my brains out. 

Summer is just a time for "cold" recipes.  Plain and simple.

The recipe called for whole wheat tortellini.  We have never had tortellini.  I have never bought pasta out of the refrigerated section.  I have never made a pasta salad that wasn't out of a box.

And while I am confessing my "nevers"... I will tell you that I never took a shower today.  Even though I ran this morning.  But I did get my hair done...so my head is clean (ish). 

Summer is also a time for bathing in swimming pools.  Just in case you didn't know.

Regardless, the pasta was DEE-LISH.  And filled with cheese!  So, even though I am trying to watch my cheese intake... it was worth every bite!


The recipe involved chopped artichokes, peppers, basalmic vinegar, olive oil, and BASIL.  I just can't seem to get enough of it this year.....  Which is good since Kev has a green thumb which has encouraged my basil plant to grow to the ceiling.
You can find the recipe here.

I followed it exactly except for the black olives... and I did make my own dressing.

Kev has an unfortunate hate for olives even though I think they are the best things this side of the Mississippi.

As far as the other side.... I'm not sure.
                                     

The salad lasted us for dinner and two lunches each.  I also served mine on a huge bed of greens.



                                         
The artichokes can be found at Williams Sonoma.  Or you can just use regular old artichokes... but just be prepared to not enjoy eating it as much as I did!




No comments:

Post a Comment