The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Strange Obsession

It is no secret that we LOVE our television shows.

We spend every single evening in our recliners ( that don't recline anymore) parked in front of the t.v. catching up on our long list of recorded shows.

But even though I thoroughly enjoy a lot of them ( CSI, Criminal Minds, NCIS, The Mentalist, all of the awesome comedies, and just about anything that HBO or Showtime produces), I don't LOVE any of them right now.

Ever since LOST ended, there hasn't been a series that has kept me on the edge of my seat... counting the days until the next episode.

Until now. 


It is totally not the type of show you would think that I would be interested in.  Think zombies.

And, honestly, when Kev tried to get me watch it the first season, I rolled my eyes and scoffed at the idea of zombies over taking the World.

But it is so much more than that. 

This is where I tell you my strange obsession of movies/shows that feature some catastrophic event that ends the World as we know it.  And a handful of survivors have to figure out how to... well, survive.

I'm not sure if it is because I watched Night Of The Comet over and over and over during my youth or if the mini-series The Stand completely blew my mind. 

All I know is that these types of shows really make me think as to how I would live, what I would do, what I would eat, etc. 

And just like LOST, we spend the end of each episode discussing every thing that just happened.

Well, I discuss it.  Kev answers the best he can and then probably debates on whether he should continue letting me watch such things.

So, needless to say, the premiere of The Walking Dead was on Sunday night.  A long awaited premiere that I had scribbled on my calendar for months!  And the meal that included the premiere is what I was referring to when I told you we were celebrating on Sunday..... just like old times when we celebrated the beginning and ending of LOST. <= Did we really do that?!?!

Because I had missed the entire first season, Kev made sure to record every episode so I could get all of the back story.  We spent the week leading up to the premiere getting caught up.  And planning our celebratory meal.

I usually have a pretty easy theme to follow... but the circumstances of the show didn't really leave much of an option.  So, I decided to go with "farm food" considering there is a lot of living off of the land going on.

Remember that I did use the word strange in the title of this post.

Anyway, I saw these precious little carrots in the grocery store and built a meal off of them...

We also had roasted sweet potatoes, asparagus, greens... and garbanzo beans + a drizzle of hot mustard.  ( Canned beans and mustard have a long shelf life - so, I'm sure they would be available)

Kev added a roasted chicken!

The meal did not disappoint.  And neither did the show.

Nor the hour long conversation that I had to have with Kev afterwards to discuss what had just happened.

There is even a LIVE talk show after each episode to analyze the series.

Which,thankfully, means that we (mainly just me!) are not alone in our strange obsession.

You can check it out on AMC.  Which is also the home to my other new favorite show "Hell on Wheels".  The Wild West + building railroads + cowboys + gun fights = right up my alley.  In fact, I believe AMC has just been proclaimed our new favorite network.

And we take those types of proclamations very seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment