The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Skit Night

Skit ~noun ~ A short theatrical sketch or act. Usually comical.



USUALLY?



My family doesn't know any other way to be.



And thus begins another tale from my childhood........



A tale in which skits were a part of every week. Like baths and brushing teeth.



In fact, I think skits were performed more often than we took baths and brushed our teeth. But this post is not about our cleaning habits. So let's move on....



We were constantly having impromptu performances to show off our talents to one another. It would not be out of the ordinary to peer in to a window of our home and see the following....



Kim (me) - showing off my Girl Scout badges - with details

Shannon - playing the piano

Holly - dancing a jazz routine ... costumes included

Kristen- doing a cheer or a gymnastics move

Dave - playing the tuba

Bethany - ballet dancing

Mom - singing

Dad - telling jokes and clogging at the same time



Yes, we were a talented family (?) always on the ready to perform whether you liked it or not.



And I haven't even told you about all of the plays we put on for each other and the neighborhood. We even sold tickets. Door to door. And our neighbors ACTUALLY paid to see us perform.



I tried that the other day. In Gaston. Just for old times sake. Let's just say that it resulted in things being thrown in my face. Such as boiled peanuts, banjo strings, pork rinds, and shot gun shells.



It's a tough world out there. On my street.



Enough about that.....



On with the show.....



We came up with the idea to have skit night. For old times sake. Elijah was the skit coordinator. He approved or denied the skits as they were presented to him. And created the show agenda including an intermission.



And let me just tell you right now...



THIS WAS THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE TRIP!



I seriously laughed so hard. And enjoyed every single second of it.



It all started with my parents.....







They performed "Cowboy Buckaroo". Complete with costumes and choreography.



They worked on this routine for MONTHS! And it did not disappoint.


My Mom had absolutely no idea that my Dad's wooden horse was inside his pants.
UM...That sounded weird. But I meant literally. You can see it in the picture.


The laughter could be heard from miles around....


And then there was Elijah....

This cute little "stranger" told some jokes. Hee Haw style. With his Mom....





Such a precious performance. One that we tried to recreate throughout the rest of the week.

"Well, Hiiiii Straaaanger!"

Then we had Dave and Elijah tell some interesting Presidential facts....




Then Bethany and I performed "You are my sunshine" upside down chin singing style....


Our performance names were "Taco" and "Friola"......



The Settles family performing an original song "Oh my Daddy" upside down chin style.


Obviously, this form of entertainment is very popular in my family.

After intermission.... We moved outside to the porch.

This was were we experienced a "Chicken Tetrazzini" cooking class.....


This "class" was performed by Kris and Dave. What you may or may not be able to see is that Holly and Laura are crouched down behind them. And are the "arms" of this operation. Dave and Kris had no idea what the girls were going to do. They just had to ad-lib based on what the arms were doing.


After getting strawberry glaze, salsa, flour, and whipped cream smeared in their face.... while drinking glasses of milk..... our family was laughing and clapping Jerry Springer style.
That is a great way to describe us. A Jerry Springer audience.



And last but not least......


We had J.C. The Magician.

He seriously did some amazing magic tricks. I was blown away. Baffled. Amazed.


He included every one in the group. And put on an amazing show.


And we took pictures. And laughed. And clapped. And enjoyed each other so much. And ensured that this skit night would be an everlasting memory in our minds.

I demand an ENCORE!

No comments:

Post a Comment