The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Friday, June 12, 2009

The Bro Is Home!

Remember this guy......

He is my brother. A Marine. And I think he is one of the coolest guys on the planet. And in outer space.
He came home last week. A week earlier than we had thought. And surprised us all... so much so that I began doing jumping jacks the minute I found out via text. I was in Publix at the deli counter. It was one of the only times in my life when I didn't care if people were staring at me. The other time being when I was dressed as Minnie Mouse for Halloween at the Magic Kingdom. I looked pretty cute. Except for my fake eyelashes that were flapping in the breeze.
Anyway, I was thrilled times a billion.
But then I realized how much I had to work. I had vacation coming up on June 12 and there would be NO days off in between. I was so discouraged that I grabbed the pound of bologna that I had just ordered from the deli counter man and ate every bite. Food relieves my stress. And gives me heartburn.... but that is another story.
So, a couple of text messages later... we figured out a way to see each other before the beach. We would have him over for dinner. Which we did on Tuesday. Except for the life of me, I cannot figure out why I didn't take any pictures. Dave brought his friend Laura. We grilled steaks, twice baked potatoes, and creamed some spinach.
And it was wonderful to have him home.
On Thursday, my parents hosted a welcome home party for Dave. And just about the entire city of Columbia showed up. So, of course, I was going to take pictures. Except for I forgot my camera AGAIN. I'm so ashamed.
You will just have to trust me that the party was a lot of fun. Despite the extremely painful jalapeno chemical burn that a certain someone received because she handled 50 jalapenos without wearing gloves.
Did I mention that I made cream cheese and sausage stuffed jalapenos for the party? They turned out pretty good.
After the party, Dave announced that all of the women folk had a gift waiting for them in the dining room. Which we immediately all screamed.... ran in the dining room... and began searching the room for gifts....and then began pulling each other's hair because we couldn't find any.... Until Dave informed us that he meant to say living room.
This is what we found.....

A hand carved jewelry box from Turkey. From the country... not our next door neighbor. And this picture doesn't even due the box justice. And did I mention that it is not just any jewelry box... but a special, secret puzzle box that will guard your most important treasures.

Like cheese whiz. Or maybe diamonds.

It is the coolest thing I have ever seen. He got each one of us a box. Each one was different. You seriously move pieces of the box around until a small key falls out. You then search for the keyhole... insert the key... and the box opens.....


I almost took pictures of each step in unlocking the secret box. But then it wouldn't be a secret anymore. And I would live in fear of something happening to my cheese whiz.... I mean diamonds.

I don't think this guy could be any more generous... or thoughtful....or handsome...

And so I will start the auction for him at..... ONE MILLION DOLLARS! Make checks payable to me.

Dave... it is so wonderful to have you home!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment