The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Thursday, October 13, 2011

So Much Sweetness

It was almost too much to handle.

But I managed.

And immediately fell in love with this little nugget...

Although Syracuse, NY was never on my "places I want to visit" list... it ended up being one of the best trips of my life.



This was the first time that I have ever stayed with Dave... or even visited him for that matter.  With the exception of his Marine graduation, I have just sat around Columbia waiting for him to come home and visit me.

It was such a treat getting to experience a tiny slice of my bro's life.... it made my heart so full.

Laura is amazing!  She is a natural, wonderful mother.  She just does every thing with ease and patience and with a smile on her face. 

And she can change a diaper in less than five seconds.  It is true.  I timed it.

And Dave... well, he is exactly the daddy that I ALWAYS imagined he would be.  So awesome.

I am always in such awe watching someone that I know become a first time mom... and someone that I know becoming a first time dad.

It just seems like such an overwhelming task to me.  Even though I used to be a pro... back in the day.

I USED to be able to change a diaper with one hand, cook dinner with the other, and warm a bottle in my armpit - all at the same time.

I babysat like it was my job. 

Well, actually it was.

And I just knew that I would be a good mom.

But then I turned 30.   And my brain got too full.  And I had to discard whatever information that I wasn't going to use.  Like "how to make up a bed" skills, every thing that I learned in school, and lastly... my "mommy" skills.

Luckily, this little sweeatheart was willing to put up with me...


I sang to her.  I held her (a lot).  I told her one thousand stories... about every thing that I could think of.

I even changed her diaper.  Something that I haven't done in 11 years.  And it was a big one, too.

Caroline is SUCH an easy going, sweet baby.  She smiles, she laughs, she stares at you when you are talking to her ( or stares at my hair in fear) and she can be taken anywhere with no problem. 

She is just the best!

It just so happened that I was able to witness her very first REAL bath.  And true to form, she just patiently hung out and went along with the plan....

True to form for me, however, was to panic.  Like running up and down the hallway with my hands in the air screaming for help panic.  How in the world did Dave and Laura already know how to give a baby a bath?

But they did.  Because they are naturals.  And with complete calmness they both just got the bath together and put her in it.

This is Caroline making her "I'm trying to figure out what is going on... but I'm easy going so nothing phases me" face.
I also think she is a little shy and is trying to cover her self up.

The fabulous Mother with her clean baby....
Look how happy she is.....

She still has plenty of time to enjoy a bath before it becomes a chore.

I spent several days just hanging out, asking Laura lots of questions, playing with the dogs, and loving on Caroline.

Oh.. and sleeping.  They have the most comfortable guest bed ever created.

I got the most sleep out of anyone in that house.  And I never sleep.

It was a trip to remember.  And a perfect way to spend my vacation.

Goodness gracious!  I love that sweet girl!!

And I'm already counting the days until I see them again.....

Up next:  Dinosaur BBQ.  The Syracuse trip finale.



No comments:

Post a Comment