The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Friday, February 5, 2010

Simple Pleasures

I read a great post the other day from my "friend" Kelly at Kelly's Korner. It was about life's simple pleasures.



The little things that make you so happy. That can brighten your day. That don't take much effort or money.



I LIVE for these things.



So, I thought I would share them with you... and get you to think about your "simple pleasures"...



1. Kev grilling out. There is nothing like making a meal together. Kev grilling the meat. Me making the sides. It just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. And is probably my favorite part of the Summer. Or Fall.... or even winter as shown in the picture below.





2. Having a "date night". They don't happen very often. But any adventure where we get to leave the house together in the same car....I consider a date. Even if it is just to ride up to Lowe's to pick out some plants and exterior caulk.



3. A good night sleep.



4. Being "tucked in" and "swaddled" to ensure a good night sleep. Kev will try ANYTHING to get me to sleep and it has been working lately.



5. The sound of ocean waves crashing on the beach.



6. A Venti iced caramel macchiato. TO.DIE.FOR.



7. Finding a new scent of Febreze.... and/or spraying Febreze all throughout the house.




8. Finding new recipes. Especially when they come from friends. And getting a "this is definitely a do-again" from Kev.



9. Planning a week's worth of menus.



10. Trying something new regarding food. A new technique. A new vegetable. A new spice.



11. Reading cookbooks, magazines and cooking blogs.



12. Having a meal that just consists of appetizers.



13. Eating breakfast for dinner.



14. Cupcakes. Making them and eating them. You just can't help but be happy when you are around a cupcake.



15. Baking something that turns out perfectly - (doesn't happen often)



16. Watching the hundreds of birds eat from our bird feeder.


17. Wearing an outfit that doesn't require Spanx.



18. Listening to 80's music. But not just anything.... Having D.J. Kev play 80's music on the very RARE days that we both have the day off.



19. Walking down Main Street in the Magic Kingdom. It just transports me to an incredibly magical place.



20. Grating cheese in my food processor. It is money saving and probably the most exciting thing that happens in my kitchen.



21. Finding something PERFECT for the house. That is a bargain (free). And that completes a room.



22. Bubble baths.



23. Tea parties. Or just tea in general. I can't live without it.



24. LAUGHING.



25. Looking through old pictures and reminiscing. I could do this every day, every hour, every minute.



26. Fresh clean sheets.



27. Getting a thoughtful surprise gift. For no reason at all. From someone that just "gets" you.



28. Watching Kev break dance.



29. Sitting in our special tv viewing spot. Every night. And just hanging out together.


(Notice the tablet of paper and pen next to the remote. In case I need to make a list for something!) This simple pleasure was at the top of BOTH of our lists. I thought it was so sweet. And we each have our laptops ready ... just in case... the other person doesn't like what we are watching. It is about enjoying each other's company and simply being together. Awwwww.



And I will go ahead and do #30 because it was the only one on Kev's list that I didn't have. And this blog is about the both of us.....



30. Working out.



That one used to be at the top of my list. Back in the day. And it will be on my list once again. But just not today - because EVERY single muscle in my body aches after working out yesterday.

*EDITED TO ADD* That I have officially changed my mind since first typing this post. I have worked out FOUR days in a row now. And the feeling you get when you are finished is DEFINITELY a simple pleasure.

My list could go on and on. Because there are really so many simple things that make me happy. My New Year's Resolution #27 is to savor them. To enjoy them more. To not take them for granted.

"The man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest" ~ Henry David Thoreau

No comments:

Post a Comment