The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Thursday, December 16, 2010

A Birthday, A Menu, and a Mustache

As most of you know, Kev had a birthday recently. A BIG birthday. He was born on December 7th, 1970 after all.

Which means he turned 40.

And even though Kev would have preferred to sweep this birthday under the rug - I couldn't let it go without some sort of celebration. So, after throwing out multiple ideas and trying to figure out what things would and would not get me thrown in time out - I came up with a elegant dinner party idea.

As elegant as any one that lives in Gaston can get.

And not only did I plan a dinner. But I planned French cuisine. Because I wanted to challenge myself, pay homage to one of my inspirations - Julia Child, and to attempt to recreate one of the best meals that I have ever had in my life - In Epcot at Le Chefs de France.

It sounds a little that I was doing this dinner for me. And believe me when I tell you that I had an incredible amount of fun planning, preparing, eating, and celebrating.

Almost too much fun for someone who WASN'T celebrating her birthday.

But this dinner was for my sweetheart. My true love. And nothing gives me more joy than to prepare a meal for some one that I love. My goal was to give Kev the best possible celebration without him ever having to leave the house.

And so the menu was created....

Appetizers
Brie en Croute
Wine
First Course
Assorted fresh breads with flavored butters
( French herb, vanilla/pecan, and cheddar/chive)
Second Course
Pear, Goat cheese, and Walnut Salad
Third Course
Onion Soup with Gruyere Cheese
Main Course
Beef Short Ribs Braised in Cabernet
with Pasta, Pearl Onions, and Burgundy Mushrooms
Dessert
Red Velvet Cupcakes
Lemon Cookies
Wedding Donuts
( The "wedding donuts" are actually wedding cookies which are Kev's all time fave cookie - but he likes to call them donuts because they are covered in powdered sugar)
I had this meal planned down to the second. What time every thing needed to be started. What oven would cook what. And was even able to fit in time for a workout. A workout that was a necessity if you read the menu. Just buying some of the ingredients required me to drop and give fifty push ups.
In the middle of The Fresh Market.
So, the table is set, the French mustache is in place, and the party is about to begin....
Up next: The Birthday Dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment