The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Sports and Love

Two things that you will never hear out of me in the same sentence. Unless it involves Michael Jordan.

I wonder what he is up to these days. I sure do miss him.

Anyway.... part of the reason that I have gotten so far behind on documenting our adventures is due to ......

The Olympics!

Only one of our MOST favorite things. We are obsessed and try to watch as much as possible every time these great games roll around.

The athletes. The stories. Their dedication. Their wins. Their determination.

ALL of it is so inspiring. And uplifting. And blows my mind.

I was able to watch the opening ceremonies in real time due to the snow (previous post) that forced me to go home early.

And we celebrated ( of course) with an Olympic ceremony meal.

I had a hard time coming up with what to do for this theme dinner. My initial ideas were Canada related. Moose steak. Maple syrup. Ice Wine. And then Kev added... canadian bacon.

We don't get out much.

So, since the idea of that meal didn't really blow my skirt up.... I decided to go American. I mean we were after all cheering on the U.S.A.

Hamburgers and Fries it was. But not just any ole burger and fries. I made sirloin burgers with CARAMELIZED ONIONS. My new favorite treat. I cooked them in my Dutch oven for three hours. And then ate most of them for a snack before I even served dinner.

They are officially my new favorite thing.

And as for the fries.... I made homemade sweet potato fries. Kev assumed they were out of a bag at first... because they just looked so darn professional. It seems my knife skills have come a long way.

The Olympics were amazing! As always. And as much as I cheered the USA on... I also cheered for so many other countries and their incredible athletes.

And I added one more thing to Kev's list of things he is not allowed to attempt to do.

Snowboarding. While it was one of my favorite things to watch... it literally had me holding my breath over the danger and scariness. ( GO SHAUN WHITE!)

And then we decided that we would LOVE to live in Vancouver. It is beautiful there.

But quickly remembered how miserable we were during this cold winter... and opted to stay put.

It just so happened this year that the Olympics premiere and Valentine's Day were the same weekend.

( Hence the "sports and love" title) ( I'm so clever sometimes)

I mentioned last year that we are NOT V-day celebrators. That is until I started cooking up a storm and creating theme meals every other day.

So, the day of food consisted of Santa Fe hashbrowns for breakfast - conformed to the shape of a heart. ( you will have to trust me.... I have no pic)

Then beef tenderloin/caramelized onion soup. Yes please!

And then there was the bread......


One of my resolutions for the year was to make home made Artisan bread. And as much as Lisa F. instructed, described, gave tips, supported me. MINE DID NOT TURN OUT.

Kim + Yeast = Enemies.

However, Lisa's bread was incredibly delicious. So, I know this book works. And I know it is possible to make delicious, yet healthy, bread.

Just not in my kitchen.

Fortunately, the day was not ruined.... because I accomplished another resolution. To become patient enough to bake. And not just bake anything.... but make a pound cake from scratch.

The Pioneer Woman's Perfect Pound Cake.

They serve this cake in Heaven. I'm sure of it.

It was PERFECT. And moist. And has officially become our yearly request for a birthday cake.

I worked very hard to remain patient. To follow the directions exactly. And to not freak out if it didn't turn out.

Luckily it did turn out... because I would have freaked out.

I also made HOME MADE whipped cream for the first time. And I must say that it is delightful. And my new requirement for desserts.

It was a great weekend. And a great couple of weeks watching the Olympics.

And now, we have a lot of catching up to do. Our DVR is about to explode. Not to mention my brain with all of the adventures I have yet to tell....

No comments:

Post a Comment