The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Friday, January 22, 2010

Pigs Flew and The Devil Put On A Winter Coat

That is seriously what happened on this particular day in January. The day that we actually went on a date.

In public.

I cannot even begin to tell you how long it has been since we've gone out. Specifically since Kev has gone out - because some times I am lucky enough to get invited by family and friends to tag a long to a dinner and/or a movie.

But that is only if I'm really lucky.

So, thank you James Cameron for finally making a movie that Kev had to see in the theater. Even Kev cannot resist 3-d glasses and extreme special effects.

And this movie BLEW. MY. MIND!

Now let me just explain that we are a little nerdy ie; Lord of the Rings... but putting that aside this movie took me away to an incredible place. A place where I soon forgot the millions of people that were sitting around me. A place where I could enjoy sitting up straight, wearing non elastic pants, without a blanket. A place that made my already spastic emotions come out all over the place.

( I apologize for that last sentence. It was not as gross as it sounds)

This movie took me to my happy place.

The effects. The story. The 3-d that made us feel like we were a part of it.

I literally cried or had tears in my eyes for the entire movie.

The same way I felt when I saw Lord of the Rings for the first time. And second. And third.

It is just our kind of thing.

And we even got to keep our 3-D glasses.

You know... just in case we ever get a 3-D tv. Or for skit night. Except for I cannot figure out how to do a 3-D skit without just throwing objects in Kev's face.

Anyway, I'm not going to tell you to rush out and see it. I'm not going to tell you that you will love it just as much as me. Because you really have to be in to the whole sci-fi/fantasy world/special effects genre of movies to be mesmerized by it.

I realize that I'm not like most girls. I hate to shower. I'm happiest in ball caps, jeans, and t-shirts. I have a mustache. And... I love a wide array of movies.. (it just so happens that most of them tend to be labeled "boy" movies.)

That being said... it should come as no surprise that Avatar has secured a place on my "Kim's favorite movies of all time" shelf. (yes, I really have a shelf called that) along with A Little Princess, Finding Neverland, and Wolverine - ( hugh jackman's greatest movie -yum)

Avatar = Awesomeness!

However, on a side note. I must confess to you that I learned some new things about myself during this movie going experience. Things that I am NOT proud of.

Things that prove that when you have been married for a long time - you start to become each other.

For example - I used to go to the movies all the time. A crowd never bothered me. Noise never bothered me. And I was just fine and dandy throughout the whole movie.

But on this trip...... we went to the matinee. And it didn't even matter. Because it was PACKED. But we got there early.... so, we were able to get decent seats at the end of a row with plenty of space around us. Until the previews started. And then every one and their brother started coming in sitting all around us. I started to get claustrophobic. Plus the fact that it is not nice to be late to a movie. It just interrupts the show.

But then... the man and daughter behind us were talking loudly. VERY LOUDLY. So, the Dad could explain every thing that was happening to the daughter.

And then... the people in front and next to us were eating popcorn in to a microphone. Or at least that is what it sounded like.

My hands started to sweat. And my heart started to beat faster. And I started wishing we had waited to watch this on tv at home.

But then the movie started.... and about 15 minutes in to it.... I was hooked. And never heard another sound or thought another bad thought until the movie was over.

And then there were the crowds and the long lines to the bathroom. And the fact that I had been bawling and every one in the theater was looking at me funny because I had just come out of Avatar and therefore must be a weirdo for having red puffy eyes.

So, Kev just grabbed my hand and we ran to the car for safety.

And then discussed the movie on the entire ride home.

I have officially become Kev. We have issues. But that is ok.


And now ... just because this post isn't long enough.... I wanted to comment on the ridiculously cold weather we have been having lately. I mean.... I used to LOVE the winter. Just LOVE it. It meant big sweaters, boots, scarves, coats... etc. But then I got in to clothing retail... and I can pretty much wear that stuff any time that I want to. Because I work in air conditioning. And I can keep my air on 68 year round. So, the coldness isn't fun anymore. I don't like scraping my windshield.... or getting gas... or even walking outside.

Not to mention.. that the cold weather makes it miserable to clean the pool....


I would know. Because I have to watch Kev do it. While I sit inside.. all bundled up... and take pics without him knowing.

It is a hard job to document our crazy lives.

I am already longing for the Spring... then Summer. So I can watch Kev clean the pool in his swimsuit.


While I eat bon-bons. And pick my toes.

1 comment:

  1. You are a TRIP!!! I just laughed so hard reading about your date night and I have to agree about how cold it was at the first of the month and I LOVE cold weather!!

    ReplyDelete