The Excellent Adventures of Kim and Kev

Thursday, November 19, 2009

My Date With A Young Jedi

This is my nephew Mason.


He turned six on September 11.

He loves Star Wars.

More than anything.

And COULD. NOT. BELIEVE. THAT. STAR. WARS. WAS. AT. DISNEY WORLD.

And he told me that several times and made me text that message to Kev.

Because Kev is the KING of Star Wars. And Mason and Kev are forever bonded through their love for R2D2.

Mason was not quite tall enough to ride the roller coaster at Hollywood Studios. And was NOT happy about it.

But with my quick Aunt thinking reflexes. I remembered that there was a Star Wars simulator ride. A ride that I haven't been on in 10 years.

It is pretty outdated. Especially with all the new technology and what not. And as much as I like out dated things. I have my standards. At least when it comes to my ride entertainment.

But I quickly came to realize that what is outdated to me is THE. MOST. COOLEST. FUNNEST. RIDE. EVER. WITH. A. REAL. R2D2. AND. WE. REALLY. WENT. TO. SPACE. AND. WE. HAVE. TO. CALL. KEV. RIGHT. NOW. BECAUSE. HE. WILL. BE. SO. EXCITED. AND. WHY. AREN'T. WE. BUYING. ANYTHING. IN. THE. STORE. BECAUSE. IT. IS. ALL. SO. COOL. AND. KEV. WILL. LET. US. SPEND. AS. MUCH. MONEY. AS. WE. WANT.!!!!

Clearly, he doesn't know Kev as well as I do.

So, we called Kev. And Kev was very excited for us. And they talked about every thing that Mason saw and did.

And a little boy's day was made. And we didn't even buy anything. Even though he was so sure that Kev would let us borrow $40 to spend.

But we did HAVE to go on the ride again. And even though it was the exact same ride... it was still so much fun to him. We were on another space adventure. The look on his face, the laughter, the reactions...... All were priceless.

It was truly the highlight of my day.

And then Mason wanted to pose for pictures. You know... for Kev. And I had to text Kev every picture.....




The poses were all him. He just told me when to take the pics. Notice a different pose with each character.....

I think this is his "I'm scared of Darth Maul face". But he was having so much fun that it kinda looks like he is about to laugh.


Star Wars was all the rage when I was growing up. I used to actually go to Star Wars parties. And dreamed of being Princess Leia. I could never get my hair to work quite right, though.
Children grow up so differently nowadays. With computers, video games, etc...... We always played outside and used our imaginations to entertain each other. So, I think it is super cool that Star Wars is still entertaining people of all ages. And it is a way to connect with the little ones.
Other than that... I'm a pretty lame aunt. I mean.. I only started texting last Christmas. And can barely navigate a computer. Not to mention that the music kids listen to these days can sometimes make my ears bleed.
I'm getting old. Just call me granny.
At least for ONE day. I was cool. The cool Aunt Kimmy Kim. Which is what Mason started calling me.
And therefore, I am so thankful for Star Wars.

No comments:

Post a Comment